bzip2 gzip binaries empty after usage

Hello,

I have a new build of debian etch 4.0.  When I try to
unpack a tar.bz2 file it fails silently.  ala
tar jxvf example.tar.bz2  , just fails with no error.

file /bin/bzip2
/bin/bzip2: empty

I reinstall with a: apt-get install --reinstall bzip2
and it still happens but not every time.  I have purged
bzip2 and reinstalled, but it still happens.  This is my
second install with this problem, so I'm a bit worried.

The same thing just happened to /bin/gzip.  It seems to
randomly happen.  Anyone else having this problem?

Thank you.
Jay

in the all-new Yahoo! Mail Beta.