Re: bzip2 gzip binaries empty after usage

On Wed, 2007-05-16 at 12:09 -0700, Jay Wilton wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a new build of debian etch 4.0.  When I try to
> unpack a tar.bz2 file it fails silently.  ala
> tar jxvf example.tar.bz2  , just fails with no error.
>
> file /bin/bzip2
> /bin/bzip2: empty
>
> I reinstall with a: apt-get install --reinstall bzip2
> and it still happens but not every time.  I have purged
> bzip2 and reinstalled, but it still happens.  This is my
> second install with this problem, so I'm a bit worried.
>
> The same thing just happened to /bin/gzip.  It seems to
> randomly happen.  Anyone else having this problem?

Are you possibly using a script that re-direct improperly? Like is
doesn't sanitize the input properly.

I wrote a very LONG and complex backup script a few years back for a
"hotswap hard-drive" backup system. I failed to think it through. I
didn't do escaping or quoting properly doing rsync and other function. I
ended up periodically making quite a mess.

I finally ended up re-writing the script from scratch and discovered my
error. It was when I was backing up files with gt or lt symbols in them.

If I were you, I'd check what you are doing in scripts.
--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net
PGP key: 1024D/B524687C  2003-08-05