Re: bzip2 gzip binaries empty after usage

On Wed, May 16, 2007 at 12:09:56PM -0700, Jay Wilton wrote:
> I have a new build of debian etch 4.0.  When I try to
> unpack a tar.bz2 file it fails silently.  ala
> tar jxvf example.tar.bz2  , just fails with no error.

As in a non-zero exit code? Or just deafening silence?

> file /bin/bzip2
> /bin/bzip2: empty

What about these files:
- /bin/bunzip2
- /bin/bzcat

They should be identical to bzip2...

While you're at it, better check the other files in the same package:
# cd /
# md5sum --check /var/lib/dpkg/info/bzip2.md5sums

If you already have debsums installed, you should consider using that
too.

> I reinstall with a: apt-get install --reinstall bzip2
> and it still happens but not every time.  I have purged
> bzip2 and reinstalled, but it still happens.  This is my
> second install with this problem, so I'm a bit worried.

"not every time" !?  Weird!  That implies that you reinstalled even
though nothing was wrong!?  Or am I misunderstanding you?

It also implies that the downloaded .deb is OK, which is good. But
double-check:
    $ dpkg --contents /var/cache/apt/archives/bzip2*.deb | less

> The same thing just happened to /bin/gzip.  It seems to
> randomly happen.  Anyone else having this problem?

What about other files in the same package? (same command as above but
with a different package name)

And it gets weirder and weirder... So other packages are affected too?
Something is seriously screwy and affecting the whole directory.
Possibly the whole file system...

Questions:
- Is the filesystem running full? (sorry - gotta ask)
- What does the system log say? Anything suspicious? Any IO errors,
  filesystem corruptions etc?
- When was the filesystem last fsck'd?

Sorry for all the questions, but this *is* intriguing :-)

--
Karl E. Jorgensen
karl@jorgensen.org.uk  http://www.jorgensen.org.uk/