Re: Affecting Institutional Change (Yeah Right)

Sorry to revive this after a while of no response, but I've only
just now found time *to* respond.

John Hasler <jhasler@debian.org> wrote:
> Amy writes:
> > By "decoders" I mean things like antiword that remove all the
> > nasty binary blobs and leave the ASCII text.
> Format converters.

Sure.

> > Does the new version of M$-Word include some sort of code for
> > embedding movies now?
> Probably, but that's irrelevant.
> > On what level is that even necessary or even desirable?
> When has that ever stopped Microsoft from adding a "feature"?

Touché.

> > Can I or can I not (reasonably) depend on such software's
> > (antiword and the like) remaining legal?
> Yes, of course you can.

Well, that is a good thing. I'm just paranoid about getting
dependent on a system that may not work later.

> > mockingbird@earthlight.co.nz (Chris Bannister) wrote:
> > > But if the M$ program somehow encrypts its documents so that
> > > is the only program that can read it, then I don't think
> > > *any* format converter will help you.

Yeah, good point. *Sigh*. I really wish that they would just quit
being evil (or at least that more people would see it)!

Ooh, cool. I mean, I doubt they'll switch over, but it's worth
looking into.

amacater@galactic.demon.co.uk (Andrew M.A. Cater) wrote:
> [...]

That is an interesting article! It has officially been added to my
arsenal. Thanks!

> > mockingbird@earthlight.co.nz (Chris Bannister) wrote:
> > > Don't bash M$ at every chance you get.

No worries...I find people are more receptive if I leave their
choice of OS alone.

> > > In reality, the presence of Vista should really help you if
> > > people are shown the docs which explain the dangers.

Good point. I will keep this in mind.

Amy

--
Day of inquiry. You will be subpoenaed.