Re: Affecting Institutional Change (Yeah Right)

John Hasler <jhasler@debian.org> wrote:
> TITLE 17 CHAPTER 12 § 1201

> § 1201. Circumvention of copyright protection systems

> (f)  Reverse Engineering.

> (1) Notwithstanding the provisions of subsection (a)(1)(A), a person who
>     has lawfully obtained the right to use a copy of a computer program may
>     circumvent a technological measure that effectively controls access to
>     a particular portion of that program for the sole purpose of
>     identifying and analyzing those elements of the program that are
>     necessary to achieve interoperability of an independently created
>     computer program with other programs, and that have not previously been
>     readily available to the person engaging in the circumvention, to the
>     extent any such acts of identification and analysis do not constitute
>     infringement under this title.

> (2) Notwithstanding the provisions of subsections (a)(2) and (b), a person
>     may develop and employ technological means to circumvent a
>     technological measure, or to circumvent protection afforded by a
>     technological measure, in order to enable the identification and
>     analysis under paragraph (1), or for the purpose of enabling
>     interoperability of an independently created computer program with
>     other programs, if such means are necessary to achieve such
>     interoperability, to the extent that doing so does not constitute
>     infringement under this title.

> (3) The information acquired through the acts permitted under paragraph
>     (1), and the means permitted under paragraph (2), may be made available
>     to others if the person referred to in paragraph (1) or (2), as the
>     case may be, provides such information or means solely for the purpose
>     of enabling interoperability of an independently created computer
>     program with other programs, and to the extent that doing so does not
>     constitute infringement under this title or violate applicable law
>     other than this section.

> (4) For purposes of this subsection, the term interoperability means the
>     ability of computer programs to exchange information, and of such
>     programs mutually to use the information which has been exchanged.

> There are aso exemptions for nonprofit libraries, archives, educational
> institutions, law enforcement, and encryption research.

Well, sweet! So the impression I'm getting is that reverse
engineering is basically protected by law? So that means that I
could use decoder programs without fearing that they may become
illegal??? I really should double-check the sources when I read
things. Too trusting.

Amy

--
All phone calls are obscene.