Re: Grub without Linux.

On Tue, 15 May 2007 08:51:25 -0700
Andrew Sackville-West <andrew@farwestbilliards.com> wrote:

> On Tue, May 15, 2007 at 12:12:02PM +0800, Mr. Ray Chan wrote:
> > 1. Use a Win98 startup disk to start the system;
> > 2. After your saw the prompt, use command "FDISK /MBR";
> > 3. Done.
>
> but that means if he wants to install another OS on that system, he'll
> have to reinstall GRUB.
>
> much better to just set up GRUB to automatically boot the windows
> partition after a fairly short (say 5 secs) delay. This will allow you
> enough time to boot a different system manually if you want, but your
> windows users will hardly notive the grub menu appearing before it
> times out and boots windows automatically.

No. Since grub is on the debian hard drive, it will not be found and the
computer won't be bootable at all. fdisk /mbr will solve the problem.
If he REALLY wants to start a standalone win98 with grub, he can make a
small partition for a minimal distro with the sole purpose of starting
grub, but this wouldn't make any sense.