Re: Problems getting pics from Minolta

On Sun, May 13, 2007 at 16:18:59 -0400, Frank McCormick wrote:
> Florian Kulzer wrote:

[...]

> > I think the first step should be to figure why the files get corrupted
> > so often. If we manage to fix that then you can check if gthumb causes
> > any additional problems.
>
>   I am beginning to suspect the Compact Flash card this camera uses may
> be corrupted somehow. I have reformatted it, took some new pics,
> connected the camera which was recognized, but I had to mount it
> manually. It used to mount automatically because I was running Ivman,
> but I removed that thinking it may have been causing problems. When I
> mount manually I can go in an copy pics, BUT half the time the copy
> doesn';t work or the pic is corrupt. In addition, the pics are bad
> quality with what looks like smoke in various parts. Anyway to make a
> long story short I am going to try replacing the card with a new one and
> then we'll see whether it's Linux, the card or the camera.

You can open a terminal window and start monitoring your syslog with:

tail -fn0 /var/log/syslog | sed 's/^.*localhost //'

Then you can access a few pictures on the camera and check if you see
error messages in the terminal window. (CTRL + C stops the monitoring.)

> > What you posted in your first message suggests to me the camera is
> > recognized correctly and that udev creates the device node and loads
> > usb-storage. So far so good, but you also seem to have some sort of
> > auto-mounting mechanism active (udev creates /dev/sda*, mounting leads
> > to /media/sda*). How is that done? Can you post the output of the
> > "mount" command (without any arguments) after the entry in /media has
> > appeared?
>
> Here it is after a manual mount:
>
> /dev/hda2 on / type ext3 (rw,errors=remount-ro)
> tmpfs on /lib/init/rw type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,mode=0755)
> proc on /proc type proc (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
> sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
> procbususb on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw)
> udev on /dev type tmpfs (rw,mode=0755)
> tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev)
> devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,noexec,nosuid,gid=5,mode=620)
> /dev/hda3 on /media/dapper type ext3 (rw)
> /dev/sda on /media/sda type vfat (rw)

Let's have a quick look at the partition table. Please post the output
of

fdisk -l /dev/sda

(You need to be root or a member of group "disk" to run this command.)

          Florian   |