Re: Problems getting pics from Minolta

Florian Kulzer wrote:
> On Sun, May 13, 2007 at 08:52:53 -0400, Frank McCormick wrote:
>> Nyizsnyik Ferenc wrote:
>>> On Sat, 12 May 2007 20:52:25 -0400
>>> Frank McCormick wrote:
>>>
>>> Can someone help diagnose this problem on  Debian Sid ?

>>    I upgraded Etch . Doing the update **seems** to have helped
>> a bit - /sda is now created in /media...but gthumb and other
>> apps give me ioerrors. I can go into /sda and find the pictures
>> manually but half the time they are half corrupted, ie half the picture
>> is there. All in all strange.
>
> I think the first step should be to figure why the files get corrupted
> so often. If we manage to fix that then you can check if gthumb causes
> any additional problems.

  I am beginning to suspect the Compact Flash card this camera uses may
be corrupted somehow. I have reformatted it, took some new pics,
connected the camera which was recognized, but I had to mount it
manually. It used to mount automatically because I was running Ivman,
but I removed that thinking it may have been causing problems. When I
mount manually I can go in an copy pics, BUT half the time the copy
doesn';t work or the pic is corrupt. In addition, the pics are bad
quality with what looks like smoke in various parts. Anyway to make a
long story short I am going to try replacing the card with a new one and
then we'll see whether it's Linux, the card or the camera.

> What you posted in your first message suggests to me the camera is
> recognized correctly and that udev creates the device node and loads
> usb-storage. So far so good, but you also seem to have some sort of
> auto-mounting mechanism active (udev creates /dev/sda*, mounting leads
> to /media/sda*). How is that done? Can you post the output of the
> "mount" command (without any arguments) after the entry in /media has
> appeared?

Here it is after a manual mount:

/dev/hda2 on / type ext3 (rw,errors=remount-ro)
tmpfs on /lib/init/rw type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,mode=0755)
proc on /proc type proc (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
procbususb on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw)
udev on /dev type tmpfs (rw,mode=0755)
tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,noexec,nosuid,gid=5,mode=620)
/dev/hda3 on /media/dapper type ext3 (rw)
/dev/sda on /media/sda type vfat (rw)
frank@debian:~$

Cheers

Frank