Re: etch - X doesn't start, video mode not supported

On 5/12/07, Tim Johnson <tim@johnsons-web.com> wrote:

On Sunday 13 May 2007 01:59, Kent West wrote:
> > You might should've tried Ctrl-Alt-PgUp to cycle through the available
> > modes.

  The Installation offered video mode in a checkbox fashion ( I.E. multiple
selections) and I *thought* I was on a different monitor and picked as
the highest resolution *too* high a resolution. My fault for looking at
another xorg.conf instead of the Monitor Manual.

> > Or you could've tried Ctrl-Alt-Backspace to kill X.

  X didn't start. The message appears to be coming from the monitor.

If the problem is related to your xorg.conf settings as implied above, then the problem is that X is overdriving your monitor, meaning that X did indeed start.

If X did not start, then you would've been in text mode, in which case it's unlikely you'd see this problem (unless you're doing some odd framebuffer stuff).

At any rate, I suspect you'll be able to recover in "recovery mode". You'll probably want to run "dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg" (I _think_ that's the command) rather than editing the file by hand though, else future upgrades won't touch your hand-tweaked file.

--
Kent West