etch - X doesn't start, video mode not supported

Hi
I just installed etch, and x doesn't start, the monitor says video mode
not supported.

I chose to power off the computer at this point.

I presume the method to correct this will to restart in text mode, and
edit xorg.conf for the proper video mode for the monitor.

1)Will choosing "recovery mode" from the boot menu give me this ability?
2)I'm concerned that because I had to power off the computer, that there
   may have been some corruption to the system.
   Is my concern valid?
   If so what steps may I take?
Thanks
Tim
(background: Red Hat, Slack, command-line, vim)
--
Tim Johnson <tim@johnsons-web.com>
Palmer, Alaska, USA