Re: Slow DNS Lookups on Debian Etch AMD 64

On Sat, May 12, 2007 at 09:03:41AM -0500, Dallas Clement wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-05-12 at 14:27 +0100, Karl E. Jorgensen wrote:
> > On Thu, May 10, 2007 at 09:41:59AM -0500, Dallas Clement wrote:
> > > I'm getting terrible DNS lookup performance on my Debian Etch system.
> > >

> Interestingly, if I repeat the dig test directly on my ISP DNS server
> address, the time between queries is dramatically reduced:
>
> debian:/home/dallas# time dig 151.164.20.201 debian.org

> ;; QUESTION SECTION:
> ;151.164.20.201.                        IN      A

> WOW! And if I directly edit the /etc/resolv.conf and put in the DNS
> server address of my ISP instead of my relaying D-Link router, lo and
> behold, my web-browsing is incredibly fast!!!  I think we can safely
> conclude that the problem lies with my router and slow DNS relay.
> Though I must say that I am a bit mystified as to why Windows is so fast
> if it presumably relies on the D-link router for DNS relay also.
>
> I wish there was a way to keep my ISP DNS addresses in
> the /etc/resolv.conf file permanently.  I think they get overwritten
> after getting a DHCP response.

Never having used a router that I didn't make, can you write a script
that queries the router for the server address of the ISP and changes
/etc/resolv.conf?  For example, what is the hostname that matches the
ISP's dns server?  While the ip number may change, the hostname may not.
Perhaps you can use the router to get you the IP of the DNS server and
then use that from then on, until the DHCP is renegotiated.

Doug.