Etch installation hangs at net-drivers on Portege 3020

Hi, all:

I'm trying to install Etch on an old Portege 3020 (which had Woody on it at one point).  The boot and root disks work just fine, but then it just hangs when I get to the net-drivers-1 disk.  It either hangs immediately (so that Alt-F4 no longer works to show me the log) or at some percentage into "Scanning the disk".  I've copied the img file to other floppies, so I don't think that's the problem.  I'm wanting to do a net install, so I need those drivers!  Any thoughts about how to get past this problem?

(I had some old Woody disks around, and it got me as far as "Install the base system", but then I get an error that no release file is found.  I'm on the network at that point because I can ping ftp.us.debian.org.  I tried using debian/oldstable as the source URL - there IS a Release file in there - but I still get the error.)

Thanks
Patrick