Re: [OT] Terminology [was: Affecting Institutional Change (Yeah Right)]

On Fri, May 11, 2007 at 08:17:04PM -0400, Douglas Allan Tutty wrote:

> I am a citizen of the country. I have right to employment for which I am
> qualified.  Disabilities must be accomodated by the employer.  If you

Do you also have a right to be provided healthcare?  What about
education?  What about a right to have money taken away from someone
else and given to you?

> rely on individual companies to be accessible to people with
> disabilites, they wont until 1. they decide that people with a specific
> disability are a good target market for their products or make good
> employees.  In general, it doesn't happen.

Right, because private entities are in business to make money.  I think
what you are looking for is a charity, or some other entity which is not
driven by normal market forces.

> So if the government doesn't enforce accessibility standards then either
> people with disabilites end up on welfare or homeless.

I disagree.  Plenty of perfectly able-bodied (or non-disabled or
whatever term you prefer) end up on welfare or homeless.

> The way a society addresses human rights tends to define that society.
> In the US you have Texas.  In Canada we have Alberta.  However, since
> Canada is a federation and human rights are enshrined in our
> constitution the differences between the provinces is more in
> implementation rather than in weather or not a particular right is
> respected.  Its a work in progress; not all rights are respected
> everywhere and lawyers cost money, especially to take something to the
> Supreme Court.
>
> I don't want this to sound like a Canada-US thing.  There are more
> differences between provinces and states within each country than there
> is between the two countries as wholes.

Quite right.

> As for the language thing, we have two official languages (French and
> English); people can demand services by any governement or
> government-run organization in either.  I don't expect to be able to go
> into Toronto's China Town and get service in perfect english.  On the
> other hand, if you go into any hospital you have a right to service in
> whatever language occurs in the community; you'll get a larger choice in
> Toronto than in Wawa.  Its part of our tradition of multiculturalism.

Right.  Now, what if businesses in Canada were forced to offer service
in Arabic (or some other language of a significan ethnic minority
group)?

Regards,

-Roberto

--