GRUB duplicates kernel entries in menu.lst

Hi you all

I noticed this strange behaviour in grub, in etch and now in lenny.

Every time update-grub is called, due to a kernel installation or removal, menu.lst grows bigger. Installed kernel entries for (recovery mode) are duplicated, same thing happened for AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST section.

Actually the latter problem seems to be solved after a manual removal of AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST duplicates.

I did a apt-get --reinstall install grub and dpkg-reconfigure grub with no success and removing recovery mode duplicated lines does not solve. I know I won't be installing and removing kernels every day but I think this is worth noting.

Any ideas?

regards
raffaele