Re: swap

On Thu, 10 May 2007 16:19:04 -0400
Roberto C. Sánchez <roberto@connexer.com> wrote:

> On Thu, May 10, 2007 at 10:16:30AM -0700, ann kok wrote:
> > In the doc. the swap should be twice of the memory
> > When I have 4G memory, I create 8G swap
> >
> > ls it right?
> >
> Sort of.  It should read "twice the amount of memory, up to 1 GB of
> swap."  In general, you should *never* need that amount of swap.  There

$ swapon -s

Filename                                Type            Size    Used	Priority
/dev/hda7                               partition	1485972 0       -1

This was setup by the installer (guided partitioning; the system has
512MB RAM). I complained about it in my install report [0]. Franz
replied:

> 5) I'm also curious about the partition sizes chosen by the installer -
> is as much as 1.5 GB (out of 27 GB total, on a system with 512 MB RAM)
> really the recommended amount? I suppose some people use beryl instead
> of Xfce, though :).

Guided partitioning sets an upper limit of 300% memory size for swap
partitions. It is true that that is somewhat high for system with a lot
of internal memory. However, it does not do any harm either.

[snip]

> -Roberto

Celejar