Re: GRUB duplicates kernel entries in menu.lst

On Fri, 2007-05-11 at 16:11 +0200, Raffaele Morelli wrote:
> Hi you all
>
> I noticed this strange behaviour in grub, in etch and now in lenny.
>
> Every time update-grub is called, due to a kernel installation or
> removal, menu.lst grows bigger. Installed kernel entries for (recovery
> mode) are duplicated, same thing happened for AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST
> section.
>
> Actually the latter problem seems to be solved after a manual removal
> of AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST duplicates.
>
> I did a apt-get --reinstall install grub and dpkg-reconfigure grub
> with no success and removing recovery mode duplicated lines does not
> solve. I know I won't be installing and removing kernels every day but
> I think this is worth noting.

On one machine I maintain, I have 4 kernels installed.

linux-image-2.6.18-1-k7
linux-image-2.6.18-2-k7
linux-image-2.6.18-3-k7
linux-image-2.6.18-4-k7

That means there is all four kernels installed.

And by default the grub setup for Etch and now Lenny enabled a
"recovery" mode or Single user mode as an alternative to the regular
one.

So for me I have these 9 menu selections

        Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.18-4-k7
        Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.18-4-k7 (Single User Mode)
        Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.18-3-k7
        Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.18-3-k7 (Single User Mode)
        Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.18-2-k7
        Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.18-2-k7 (Single User Mode)
        Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.18-1-k7
        Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.18-1-k7 (Single User Mode)
        memtest86+

I edited the /boot/grub/menu.lst to reflect the defaults I like rather
than what came as default. You will also note the first entry has the
"largest/newest" designation.

If you don't like the "single User/Recover mode" then edit the line
in /boot/grub/menu.lst that reads:

        # alternative=true

To look like

        # alternative=false