Re: nfs username and passwd does not work on tty1, tty2, tty3

On Fri, May 11, 2007 at 04:51:42PM +0530, Arvind Marathe wrote:
> > On Fri, May 11, 2007 at 12:39:09PM +0530, Arvind Marathe wrote:
> >> Hi all,
> >> i have a debian etch system, which is a nfs client machine. Since yesterday, i
> >> am not able to login using my nfs username and passwd on tty1, tty2, tty3 etc.
> >
> > "nfs username" ? I suspect you mean NIS username?
>
> yup, i meant nis! sorry...
>

> >> It gives the error: "checkpassword: wrong password." It accepts root passwd on
> >> these. However i can login to xdm (runlevel:5, tty7) using nfs username and
> >> passwd. Why is this happening? (Could these be some problem with fgetty?)
> >
> > As far as I can see from "apt-cache show fgetty", it only supports
> > authentication against /etc/passwd - i.e. against the local machine.
> > Hence root would work but non-local users would not.

Correction: After reading the fgetty README, I'm not so sure anymore.
Combined with the fact that you've been using it for "a looong time"
with NIS username/password, I'm force to (reluctantly!) conclude that I
was wrong there. Sorry about that.

> > Was fgetty installed yesterday by any chance?
>
> nope...it has been around for a loooong time. I did install some texlive extra
> packages yesterday but i don't think that should affect the checkpassowrd thing.

no - that shouldn't really affect checkpassword.

Unless those packages (or their dependencies) installed the file
/bin/checkpassword.login. According to fgetty's README.Debian, it would
look for /bin/checkpassword.login first. If the newly-installed
checkpassword.login does NOT support NIS passwords, this would explain
the behaviour you're seeing.

Hope this helps

--
Karl E. Jorgensen