nfs username and passwd does not work on tty1, tty2, tty3

Hi all,
i have a debian etch system, which is a nfs client machine. Since yesterday, i
am not able to login using my nfs username and passwd on tty1, tty2, tty3 etc.
It gives the error: "checkpassword: wrong password." It accepts root passwd on
these. However i can login to xdm (runlevel:5, tty7) using nfs username and
passwd. Why is this happening? (Could these be some problem with fgetty?)

Thanks and regards,
Arvind

ps: Please also include my mail id in the reply as am not subscribed to the list