Re: nfs username and passwd does not work on tty1, tty2, tty3

> On Fri, May 11, 2007 at 12:39:09PM +0530, Arvind Marathe wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> i have a debian etch system, which is a nfs client machine. Since yesterday, i
>> am not able to login using my nfs username and passwd on tty1, tty2, tty3 etc.
>
> "nfs username" ? I suspect you mean NIS username?

yup, i meant nis! sorry...

>> It gives the error: "checkpassword: wrong password." It accepts root passwd on
>> these. However i can login to xdm (runlevel:5, tty7) using nfs username and
>> passwd. Why is this happening? (Could these be some problem with fgetty?)
>
> As far as I can see from "apt-cache show fgetty", it only supports
> authentication against /etc/passwd - i.e. against the local machine.
> Hence root would work but non-local users would not.
>
> Was fgetty installed yesterday by any chance?

nope...it has been around for a loooong time. I did install some texlive extra
packages yesterday but i don't think that should affect the checkpassowrd thing.
And nis users could login for all these days on tty1, tty2, tty3. It suddenly
stopped, nothing seems wrong on the nis server or other clients, also i can
login on xdm, so i cant figure out what is wrong. Thanks for your help.

Regards,
Arvind