Re: Gnome-Keyboard-Properties

Dear Karl,

2007/5/9, Karl E. Jorgensen <karl@jorgensen.org.uk>:
On Wed, May 09, 2007 at 10:47:16AM +0200, linux user wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In Gnome Environment, we can run  the application gnome-keyboard-properties
> (Desktop -> Preferences -> Keyboard) that with the value associated to
> "Group Shift/Lock behavior", we can switch among the preselected keyboards.
>
> In fact, I'd like to know which file(s) receive(s) the configuration data...
> ¿Could you help me?

It is stored in the gnome configuration, a.k.a. gconf. This behaves a
little bit like the windows registry - but better, obviously!. (This in
turn is backed by some files - don't know/care where).

You can examine the data by firing up gconf-editor (Applications->System
Tools->Configuration Editor) and navigating to the /desktop/gnome/ tree.
Some interesting keys:
- /desktop/gnome/peripherals/keyboard
- /desktop/gnome/interface/cursor_blink

and lots more. It's probably documented somewhere...

Oh ! Great ! I see !. The "register" is made using XML files !!!

> I'd like, furthermore, to find the "data" statement that controls the
> "actual" keyboard.

Do you mean the keyboard mapping? i.e. the table that maps a key (or
combination of keys) to a character?

I mean the current layout. If I was using an english layout and I switched to a russian one, where is the statement that controls the current one and says to the system: "now is not english, but russian !". You know ?

Thanks a lot for your help !

David