Re: help!

On Thu, May 10, 2007 at 03:10:25AM -0700, David wrote:
> Hey everyone,
>
> I just downloaded and installed debian 4.0 stable on my laptop a
> couple of days ago, i've been playing around with it and its great!.
> although i have been having a bit of difficulty finding a good guide
> that explains just the basics of debian. Can anyone suggest a good
> guide? i have never used any version of linux os before, i have been
> using windows for a long time though. In particular i want to know how
> to install and remove programs, and whats the difference between the
> kernal and the terminal?! :S haha
>
> Newbie
there is documentation like 'the debian reference' that can be found on
the debian.org web site and can also be downloaded. One of the common
info sources that is not always friendly to new users is the man page.
try:
man apt-get
for an example. These are very,very compact references to many things.
press the 'q' key to quit it.
If you want more readable info, it maybe found in the /usr/share/doc/
directory. Most packages have something in there. Investigate those! But
you may need a little help as some files are gzipped. To read most
files, use 'less myfile'. If its gzipped, try  'zless myfile.gz'.

As for the basics of apt-get or aptitude:
apt-get install something
apt-get remove something
aptitude install something
aptitude remove something

If you have other questions: just ask. As long as you ask nicely, we
wont refuse to answer anything. [well maybe not everything--like what to
eat for lunch]
And a caveat: this list discusses both debian and non-debian topics.
|_______  Unless I ask to be CCd, assume I am subscribed _______|