Re: [ in /usr/bin Question

On Wed, May 09, 2007 at 08:48:14PM -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 05/09/07 20:33, Douglas Allan Tutty wrote:
> [snip]
> > once for as many instances as you like.  If I were wanting to create my
> > own NIX distribution, I'd have sh available for compatibility, but all
> > system scripts would be done in python.
>
> Red Hat.

Yes but they don't (or didn't when I used it in 2001 for a short time)
use straight unadulterated python.  It looked like python written by
perl programmers.  I didn't like their coding style/practice and found
that it crashed a lot, which is why I switched to Debian (Red had was a
$20 book with CD, later, Debian was an $80 book with Potato CD).  I
especially didn't like comments in the midst of scripts like "this is
broken".

Most code/scripts are written by people who spend their days writing
code and scripts.  They expect that the code will be maintained or
altered by similar people.  I don't think that this is a fair assumption
in the context of open source.

Other than disposable snippets, I may only write one good sized program
a year.  The last one was something like logcheck that did not rely on
regular expressions, since I couldn't get logcheck to ignore routing
booting messages since I've never been able to figure out regex.  Its
written, commented, and documented so that in 10 years I'll still be
able to understand it and alter it.

Doug.