[ in /usr/bin Question

Hello all...I am new to this Debian thing :-) I used it in the Woody days but moved over to the FreeBSD world for the last few years. I recently installed Testing (Lenny) and see the left bracket in my /usr/bin directory and do not know what it is. When I ls -al it I get:

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 24752 2007-01-30 13:51 /usr/bin/[

This leads me to believe that it was installed with the base system or some package because I just installed the system earlier this week. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks.

-Tom Grove