Re: [OT] Screen (was Affecting Inst. Change)

On Thu, May 10, 2007 at 01:09:11AM +0000, Tyler Smith wrote:
> On 2007-05-10, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> wrote:
> > Screen(1) is what Unix users used before x terminals and PCs were
> > inexpensive enough for everyone to have one.
> >

> That much I know. Why would an acknowledged user-wizard choose to use
> screen instead of xterms is my question, especially since said wizard
> is using X and a window manager. The folks who use screen seem
> to be on the high-end of the wizard scale, so I'm assuming it must do
> something better than regular xterms, but having browsed (briefly I
> admit) the man page it isn't obvious to me what that might be.

Depends on how easy it is to launch an extra xterm - starting an
extra shell inside screen may be more convenient than running a second
terminal.

Screen also lets you detach and reattach sessions from the terminal,
so you can (for example) detach, restart X, reattach, and be exactly
where you were before. This is the main reason I use it.

	bma