Re: Support For ATI Sapphire Radeon Graphics Card

<major snip>

Any binary driver in my book is bad, I hope you don't plan on using
mythtv, or anything that requires xvmc on any new Nvidia card. I wouldn't
start mentioning driver support under Windows either.  If you did not
clean out the existing drivers under windows you proably have leftovers.
This goes for ATI, as well as Nvidia. I seem to see lots of posts about
bad performance as well on Nvidia products.

I seem to have the opposite reaction, I switched to a x1950 pro 512, from
a 6600gt due to driver issues.  For some reason I had major problems with
texture corruption under Debian with Nvidia drivers with quake 4.  I had
to switch to Ubuntu amd64 before quake 4 would run without texture issues
with my 6600gt. You can search the group for more details. It was really
weird, as quake 4 was the only game that had corrupt textures, utk4 did
not, as well as the open source games such as warsow. I bet if I switch
back I probably won't have any texture issues with my card now.

Personally If you go by pure binary installers I would say that ATI has a
better installer.  You can tell it to build .deb according to distro,
like etch, sid, and edgy, fiesty.  Then you just have to install them
with dpkg -i, call module-assistant. I literally don't see a problem,
unless you want to install compiz, or beryl. In either case you will want
to use module-assistant, so if one slacks ATI, the same could be said
about Nvidia. Now if your talking about openGL performance then Nvidia
usually has an edge from what I have seen. But the games I play, I
usually have most eye candy turned low, I just like smooth frame rates
over low fps anyday.

The truth of the story is their is no ideal graphics card for gnu/linux if
you use Open Source drivers you suffer from lack of 3d performance in
games. If you use binary you have a harder install for the modules, but
better performance. So you literally have to choose your poison, I just
don't like the way Nvidia is acting lately. so I won't reward them with a
purchase.

Gnu_Raiz