Re: [OT] Good, evil and religion [WAS] Re: A way to compile 3rd party modules into deb system?

On Wed, May 09, 2007 at 09:08:28AM -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:

> Or better Biblical scholarship.
>
> By using the KJV, you are saying that Biblical scholars have not
> learned any more Greek or Hebrew in the past 400 years.

Actually, what I am saying by using the KJV is that no one was come up
with what I believe is a better translation (in English, at least).

> Also, the English language has changed since (?)1607.

That's why I own/use a good dictionary.

> But I agree with you that some translations are down-right icky.
> The /Good News/ translation from the 1960s springs instantly to mind.

Yep.

> > Sure, people can quibble over the meaning of words.  But, for example,
> > the King James Version (the one that I use) was translated by a
> > committee of imminent scholars and men of God.  While they may not have
> > been in absolute perfect unanimous agreement over every single thing,
> > every single disagreement was discussed until a general consensus was
> > reached on each.
>
> As were the ASV, the RSV, the NASB & the NIV.

Do a Google search for Frank Logsdon.  Now, read some of the material
there and then tell me what you think.

> Plus all the non-English language translations.

The key difference is that English today is as Hebrew was in the OT
times and Greek in the early NT times.  It is the language of
education/commerce/and so on.

Regards,

-Roberto

--