Re: Problems with KDE on mounted home

On Wed, 2007-05-09 at 04:31 +0200, Rico Secada wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have been testing KDE on a mounted home directory. I am using sshfs.
>
> I have changed the different KDE variables so everything point to
> the mounted home directory. I have also made sure that both uid and
> gid are the same on the local and remote machine.
>
> When I try to start KDE I get this error found in .xsession_errors:
>
> <SNIP>
> Xsession: X session started for dave at ons maj  9 04:24:02 CEST 2007
> startkde: Starting up...
> kdeinit: Aborting. bind() failed: : Operation not permitted
> Could not bind to socket '/home/dave/kde-tmp/ksocket-dave/kdeinit__1'
> Warning: connect() failed: : No such file or directory
> kdeinit: Aborting. bind() failed: : Operation not permitted
> Could not bind to socket '/home/dave/kde-tmp/ksocket-dave/kdeinit__1'
> Could not register with DCOPServer. Aborting.
> ERROR: Couldn't attach to DCOP server!
> startkde: Shutting down...
> Warning: connect() failed: : No such file or directory
> Error: Can't contact kdeinit!
> startkde: Running shutdown scripts...
> startkde: Done.
> </SNIP>
>
> The directory /home/dave/kde-tmp/ksocket-dave/ does exist.
>
> What I don't understand is, what is going on here:
>
> kdeinit: Aborting. bind() failed: : Operation not permitted
>
> What bind operation is that and how do I make it work?

Well, you see many of the "local" sockets for KDE have to be, well,
local.

For me, if you must usee sshfs for remote homedirs... I'd re-direct all
"user only" scokets to /tmp or /var/tmp

It is all in the config. I've never really forced KDE to use /tmp for
things such as the DCOP, ksocket or kdeinit stuffs... but I am sure it
is all in the "global"  configs of the machine people are using at home.

In other words, "/home/dave/kde-tmp/ksocket-dave/kdeinit__1" needs to be
local. So rather than put it $HOMEDIR/kde-temp/ksocket-dave/blahhh I'd
force it to be in /tmp/ksocket-dave/blah. Them perms will come out rght
and it should work just right.

In effect KDE is trying to use a "remote socket" as a local one. That is
the bind error.
--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net
PGP key: 1024D/B524687C  2003-08-05