Subject: debconf problem in foomatic-filters
Date: Sun, 06 May 2007 09:43:34 -0500
From: Felix Lechner
To: Chris Lawrence

Hello Chris,

I have a problem installing foomatic-filters_3.0.2-20061031-1.2_all.deb.
   For some reason, the config mechanism for "foomatic-filters/gspath"
fails.  I suspect the templates file is not read correctly.

I checked the bug reports and could not find a matching description.

With DEBCONF_DEBUG set to 'developer', the installation produces the
following output:

debconf (developer): <-- INPUT low foomatic-filters/gspath
debconf (developer): --> 10 "foomatic-filters/gspath" doesn't exist
debconf (developer): <-- GO
debconf (developer): --> 0 ok
debconf (developer): <-- GET foomatic-filters/gspath
debconf (developer): --> 10 foomatic-filters/gspath doesn't exist
dpkg: error processing foomatic-filters (--install):
 subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 10
 foomatic-filters

Setting "gspath" manually in your config file by including

db_set foomatic-filters/gspath "gs" ;

only produces another error message:

debconf (developer): <-- SET foomatic-filters/gspath gs
debconf (developer): --> 10 foomatic-filters/gspath doesn't exist
dpkg: error processing foomatic-filters (--install):
 subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 10
 foomatic-filters

All that makes me suspect the templates file is not parsed correctly.
The question for "gspath" is defined in the templates file but not
called---even if debconf is reconfigured to prompt for low priorities.
Do you know why that would happen?  I even installed two versions of
ghostscript for a choice but could not trigger the question.

Could there be a problem with debconf or UTF-8, or possibly the
translations in the templates file?  I am trying to figure out why
debconf acts that way.

My system is a testing/unstable hybrid.

Thank you for maintaining such a complicated package.

Sincerely,
Felix