Re: Delete garbage in /var

On Tue, May 08, 2007 at 06:09:05PM -0300, Valdir Marcos wrote:
> How can I identify what is garbage in /var?

# du --one-file-system --block-size=1K /var | sort -nr | less

Will give a good idea of where your disk space is being used. It is
still up to you to decide whether it's "garbage" or not though...

> How can I delete files and directories older than a specific date?

If this is a regular occurence, a bugreport might be called for.

Beware: /var is used for all sorts of "variable" data, e.g.:
- mailboxes
- printer spool
- lock files
- dhcp state
- log files
- databases
- autogenerated config files for e.g. exim4 (for split config)

and lots of other things that hardly qualify as "garbage". If you want
to free up some space, files in /var/tmp, /var/log and /var/cache are
usually good first candidates.

> # df -h
> Sist. Arq.            Tam   Usad Disp  Uso% Montado em
> /dev/sda6             1,8G  774M  918M  46% /var

918M free? Doesn't look like a problem at the moment...

Hope this helps

--
Karl E. Jorgensen
karl@jorgensen.org.uk  http://www.jorgensen.org.uk/