Re: PCI controller issues and stable Debian vs latest ubuntu

On Tue, May 08, 2007 at 08:33:03AM -0400, Douglas Allan Tutty wrote:
> On Mon, May 07, 2007 at 06:03:32PM +0000, Tim Johnson wrote:
> > On Tuesday 08 May 2007 00:31, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> >
> >   Burned and booted ... here's what I saw when I started the install:
> >   Debian tells me the following:
> >   "Primary Network Interface:
> >    eth0: firewire (IEEE 1394) ethernet device
> >    eth1: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. Unknown device 4353
> >    "
> >    Gadzooks! This differs from what the current kubuntu 7.04 installation
> >    is telling me. Ubuntu tells me that my network interface is at
> >    eth0 (from the systems-> menu) and somehow I got the impression
> >    that this was the device picked up by lspci as
> >    "03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. Unknown device
> > 4353 (rev 14)"
>
> For some reason that I don't know about, the kernel (or udev?) thinks
> that firewire is a network interface.  When the installer asks you which
> device to use, I'd pick eth1.

Actually: tcp/ip over firewire is not unheard of. And quite well
supported as far as I know (although for those who care: apparently no
longer supported in MS Vista ?)

--
Karl E. Jorgensen
karl@jorgensen.org.uk  http://www.jorgensen.org.uk/