Re: PCI controller issues and stable Debian vs latest ubuntu

On Mon, May 07, 2007 at 04:23:57PM +0000, Tim Johnson wrote:
> On Monday 07 May 2007 23:54, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> > >
> > > I've got other NICs here. I'll try another.  My previous experience
> > > installing the ubuntu suggest that there seems to be a conflict
> > > between a second card (eth1) and the current onboard nic, so I'll have to
> > > get a hardware person (which I'm not) to help me resolve that.
> >
> > most NIC's "just work" in my experience.
>
>   :-) Speaking for Debian are you?

I am the lorax, i speak for the trees... oh. sorry. ;)

>   I just downloaded netinst.iso. Later, I will burn it
>   and try booting with it. Do I understand that this CD will have
>   the ability to probe eth0 and eth1 (if necessary) and give me
>   feedback before proceeding with the install?

It does check for the presence of a network connection, but I don't
remember at which point in the install it does that. You could always
switch to a VT from the installer (usual alt-f2, etc) to confirm the
network is working before proceeding. You can also  back out of the
instlaler's "wizard" sort of interface and it puts you at a menu that
lets you select which steps to perform and thus you could skip up to
the networking part and confirm it sees a repository etc.