Re: PCI controller issues and stable Debian vs latest ubuntu

On Tuesday 08 May 2007 00:31, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:

> I am the lorax, i speak for the trees... oh. sorry. ;)

   Linus Torvalds is really Dr. Seuss - ala "The Boys from Brazil"
   - read on ...

> >   I just downloaded netinst.iso. Later, I will burn it
> >   and try booting with it. Do I understand that this CD will have
> >   the ability to probe eth0 and eth1 (if necessary) and give me
> >   feedback before proceeding with the install?

  Burned and booted ... here's what I saw when I started the install:
  Debian tells me the following:
  "Primary Network Interface:
   eth0: firewire (IEEE 1394) ethernet device
   eth1: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. Unknown device 4353
   "
   Gadzooks! This differs from what the current kubuntu 7.04 installation
   is telling me. Ubuntu tells me that my network interface is at
   eth0 (from the systems-> menu) and somehow I got the impression
   that this was the device picked up by lspci as
   "03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. Unknown device
4353 (rev 14)"
  anyway ...

> It does check for the presence of a network connection, but I don't
> remember at which point in the install it does that. You could always
> switch to a VT from the installer (usual alt-f2, etc) to confirm the
> network is working before proceeding. You can also  back out of the
> instlaler's "wizard" sort of interface and it puts you at a menu that
> lets you select which steps to perform and thus you could skip up to
> the networking part and confirm it sees a repository etc.

  I'm going to proceed with the installation process as per your instructions
  and see what I find...
  Great input. Thanks to all. Let me see what I come up with.
tj
--
Tim Johnson <tim@johnsons-web.com>
Palmer, Alaska, USA