Re: (solved on my own) Re: how to use dpkg to list some packages

On Tuesday 08 May 2007 16:36, Douglas Allan Tutty wrote:
> On Tue, May 08, 2007 at 06:02:41AM -0700, Serena Cantor wrote:
> > aptitude search \!~i~sdoc only lists 4 packages.
> >
> > surely main of sarge has far more than that.
> >
> > I've got many replies, none solved my question. Thanks anyway.
> >
> > I'm java programmer, I'd rather write a program to parse a file in
> > /var/lib/apt/lists
> > to list desired packages.
>
> Try just
>  aptitude
>
> You'll get an interactve screen, showing you broad categories of
> packages (new, installed, not installed, virtual pacakges, tasks).  Move
> the cursor "not installed", hit enter,  move down to "doc", hit enter,
> move to contrib, main, or non-free, hit enter, and there's your list of
> the doc section.
>
> You probably want to read the aptitude manual.
>
> Doug.

I usually use Synaptic if I'm looking for a specific package. The only slight
problem, if it's displaying all available packages, (and there are currently
19,971 showing on Synaptic for Lenny) is that using the mouse on the
scrollbar, it just scrolls by too fast, and the up, and down arrows on the
scrollbar, scroll too slow when your trying to find a package.

it would be a nice feature for Synaptic's scrollbar to have both slow, and
fast, up, and down arrows.

Perhaps I should put this to Synaptic's maintainer. Anyone know who that is?

Nigel.