Re: (solved on my own) Re: how to use dpkg to list some packages

On Tue, May 08, 2007 at 06:02:41AM -0700, Serena Cantor wrote:
> aptitude search \!~i~sdoc only lists 4 packages.
>
> surely main of sarge has far more than that.
>
> I've got many replies, none solved my question. Thanks anyway.
>
> I'm java programmer, I'd rather write a program to parse a file in
> /var/lib/apt/lists
> to list desired packages.

Try just
	aptitude

You'll get an interactve screen, showing you broad categories of
packages (new, installed, not installed, virtual pacakges, tasks).  Move
the cursor "not installed", hit enter,  move down to "doc", hit enter,
move to contrib, main, or non-free, hit enter, and there's your list of
the doc section.

You probably want to read the aptitude manual.

Doug.