Re: How do I setup printer?

On Mon, May 07, 2007 at 02:07:44PM -0400, Jan Sneep wrote:

> > From: Andrew Sackville-West [mailto:andrew@farwestbilliards.com]
> >

> > On Mon, May 07, 2007 at 06:52:50AM -0400, Jan Sneep wrote:
> > > That's a great tip ... now do you have any equally slick
> > tip for getting
> > > Samba to share that printer to the rest of the computers on
> > the LAN? I've
> >
> > http://www.faqs.org/docs/Linux-mini/Debian-and-Windows-Shared-
> > Printing.html
> > http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Debian-and-Windows-Shared-Printing/shari
> > ng_with_windows.html
> > http://www.debian-administration.org/articles/425

> I followed the steps in
> http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Debian-and-Windows-Shared-Printing/sharing_with_window
> s.html to the letter and it didn't work.
>
> Luckily the http://www.debian-administration.org/articles/425 had the two
> lines I needed to add;
>
> Allow From 192.168.1.* in the /etc/cups/cupsd.conf file.
>
> and do
>
> chmod 777 /home/smbprint
>
> and now I can print from my Win Xp machine to a printer connected to my
> Debian server ... yeah !!!

a couple things to note here:

1. I googled "debian windows print samba" and got those, and many
other great hits, on the first page. You would be well served to learn
to google-fu to help you with this stuff. There are *vast* quantities
of really good linux info on the web, its just a matter of learning
the right search terminology. Also, www.debian-administration.org is a
great site and has a local search function as well. I use it often.

2. Many debian oriented guides are geared towards "sarge". With "etch"
out, we should see those starting to update, but it will be a
while. you'll have to make various translations as you go along.