RE: How do I setup printer?

a couple things to note here:

1. I googled "debian windows print samba" and got those, and many
other great hits, on the first page. You would be well served to learn
to google-fu to help you with this stuff. There are *vast* quantities
of really good linux info on the web, its just a matter of learning
the right search terminology. Also, www.debian-administration.org is a
great site and has a local search function as well. I use it often.

2. Many debian oriented guides are geared towards "sarge". With "etch"
out, we should see those starting to update, but it will be a
while. you'll have to make various translations as you go along.

Thanks for the tips Andrew ... but with all due respect ... IMHO ... basic
stuff like sharing a printer on a small LAN SHOULDN'T be so complex nor
require searching the WWW and the possible risks of getting bad information
and trashing your system!

I started my task of add this printer by following some advice from this
list ... printconf ... then when that didn't work found the www.linux.org
site which also gave some steps that should have worked, but because of not
managing to get ANY software to work on my system for many months and having
found that Debian documents found on the Internet do not always work as
described, thought I'd better ask which of the steps identified NEED to be
done. Turns out the answer was none of the above, new tip, for a browser
interface to CUPS. Don't get me wrong, this is great, but hopefully you can
appreciate how this might be frustrating and how I might not necessarily
agree with your suggestion that I would be "well served to learn to" Google
better ... :O)

I have it working, which is great, but now I'm wondering, what steps did I
do that I didn't NEED to do to get this working, because I removed some
entries from the smb.conf to get it exactly what was shown in the document,
will I be missing some functionality that is put in by default that I might
need down the road when I try and install some other software package and
thus spend hours running around in circles trying to find some document some
place that mentions that I need one of those lines that are now gone.

Mine was a pure clean Etch install (only a couple of days old) and yet
needed to cobble together a solution from two separate documents, both of
which purported to HAVE the answer. Perhaps there should be an "official"
... Doing Basic Stuff in Debian ... icon on the default desktop that gets
installed with Debian ... yes, there can be lots of discussion about what
constitutes "basic stuff", but adding a printer and sharing it across a LAN.
IMHO, should have been as simple as checking a box labelled "Share this
Printer ?" "Share with Windows computers Yes/No? "Do you want a password
Yes/No?, etc and then have ALL the necessary changes made to the various
config files. Once you know what to do it isn't difficult, but of course it
is knowing what to do that is always the challenge isn't it?

It is kinda like wandering around in Zelda trying to figure out what
combination of hidden buttons to hit to un-lock the next room in the
adventure ... only with Zelda the graphics are better ... :O)

My two cents for what they are worth,

Jan