does a home user on dialup need a domain name?

I have a few computers connected by ethernet switch with one computer
(titan: 192.168.1.1) accessing the network by dial-up modem and
providing some services to my network: e.g. dnsmasq, exim4 smarthost,
ntp, but nothing to the internet.  It also runs shorewall for good
measure.  Everything works fine.

Samhain complains that the box doesn't have a FQDN.
My old 486 (reliant: 192.168.1.2) I'm trying different OSs that will
install.  NetBSD's sendmail tries twice to get a FQ name (which slows
down the boot) but then gives up and just uses 'reliant'.

The old installer asks for one's domain name but says its ok to leave
blank if there is none.  Etch's (if I remember right) asks for it and
says that if one is stand-alone to just make one up (I left it blank).

Should I have one and if so, where all do I have to put it?

Below, I've added my /etc/hosts

Thanks,
Doug.

/etc/hosts: