Re: Random Crashes

Douglas Allan Tutty wrote:
On Mon, May 07, 2007 at 04:54:18PM +0200, Gregor wrote:
Eduardo M KALINOWSKI wrote:
   So I took of the "old" 512Mb ram module, because it should be the
one with problems, since the crashes happened already when I had only
that one. The system still crashed. Just to be sure, I put it on again,
and only this one, and the system also crashes. The motherboard has two
slots for RAM. I tried both modules in both slots, and I did notice that
when a module (either one) is in one of the slots, the system crashes
just after boot --- at most I can type the password and let KDE start,
but it crashes before KDE is fully loaded. With a module in the other
slot, then the system is usable most of the times.

   So, am I really unlucky to have two memory modules with problems, or
what else should I suspect? Motherboard? Processor? What would be the
possible ways to diagnose the problem?

To me it sounds like a hardware fault somewhere along the path to the
memory slots with more problem on one than the other.  I'd say swap the
processor but most people don't have a spare hanging around (ditto spare
MBs), and there's the heat-sink issue.  Do you have a spare system that
takes the same kind of memory you can try your sticks in?  As I see it,
the problem with relying on something like memtest is that it tests the
whole memory system not just the sticks; a faulty MB on the memory path
can show as bad memory.

As far as what to suspect, there's really only three things: MB, CPU,
memory sticks.  Suspect all.

Doug.

I recently purchased a Turion x64 dual core based HP laptop, and have loaded the AMD64 build of Debian stable (etch).

The system installed OK but on booting the newly installed system, it would freeze (hard) at unpredictable points.

After much googling, searching the HP FAQ's for their Debian support (not available for any laptops, but on servers - however, there are known issues with hangs like this), and so on, it looks like the problem is kernel support/interaction with the APIC system. The HP FAQ is here:

  http://h20219.www2.hp.com/services/cache/442408-0-0-225-121.html

No way to tell if this is your issue or not. What worked for me, which at least lets me boot and use the system, was to add 'noapic' to the boot command line (I use grub, so that's in /boot/grub/menu.lst, similar edit for lilo with the 'append=noapic', IIRC).

There were other boot options mentioned (I don't have the details at hand, I'm sorry to say), but none of them helped in my case.

Hope this is helpful.

Bob