Re: [Etch] pppoe problem - unable to ping or lookup

On 5/7/07, Andrew Sackville-West <andrew@farwestbilliards.com> wrote:
On Sun, May 06, 2007 at 07:11:34PM +0530, Deboo ^ wrote:
> On 5/5/07, Andrew Sackville-West <andrew@farwestbilliards.com> wrote:
> >On Sat, May 05, 2007 at 05:12:25PM +0530, Deboo ^ wrote:
> >> Also note that I tried pinging remote ip addresses (like google.com's
> >> and yahoo.com's) and was unable to get any response.
> >
> >is that by ip address or by name?
>

> Well it should be clear from my mail below that  I pinged their ip
> addresses, isn't it?

you mean above? Making an assumption about what people are doing can
lead you down the wrong road. I don't need to tell you how many people
would claim to be pinging ip addresses when they're not. :-P

Yep I meant that above line. Ip address means an "ip address" after
all not hostname.  And yes may be n00bs don't make a difference
between the two. I'm no expert at all but not a n00b atleast.

> BTW,  I saw the problem. As soon as I connect, pppoeconf sets the
> nameservers in /etc/resolv.conf ... after a few seconds or in a min
> uet, those ip addresses vanish and get replaced by the ip 192.168.0.1.

as someone else said, if you've got 'zeroconf' (i think, not
resolvconf) that could be part of the problem.

I don't have either.

dhcp is installed and I installed pump too since the dhcp client I saw
at times unable to get any ip at boot. At other times it got without
any error message.

Regards,
Deboo

--
Please don't Cc: me, I'm subscribed to the list.