[Etch] pppoe problem - unable to ping or lookup

Hello,

I just installed Etch using the netinstall CD. Also installed pppoe
using dpkg, from the CD packages manually. pppoe detects and makes the
connection. ifconfig shows the ppp0 details and the ip too.

But I'm unable to ping any remote servers. I am able to ping the ISP
gateway though. The connection is fine using windows. I even tried
with knoppix and it is the same with knoppix too. The only difference
I can see in debian's connection and knoppix's is the output of
"route -n"   Knoppix doesn't put any local (eth0) ip in the route
whereas debian does.

I don't know if there's anything else that is causing the problem or
if pppoeconf is outdated now and now working with my provider? I was
able to connect at times using knoppix and at other times this problem
occurs.

Unless I am able to connect, I can not install any packages. I'm left
with a minimal install of Etch. There's not even the nslookup, or host
commands, nor telnet. Atleast ssh exists so I tested with that.

What do I do?

Regards,
Deboo

--
Please don't Cc: me, I'm subscribed to the list.