Re: Sid, xorg and fglrx

Tim Wood wrote:
> I'm another who has problems with the latest upgrade in sid's xorg.
>
> My video is ATI Radeon X1600, which requires the proprietary fglrx
> driver. This has been running well on my HP NX8420 giving me the full
> 1680*1050 resolution. The problem now as reported in Xorg.0.log:
>
> (II) Module fglrx: vendor="FireGL - ATI Technologies Inc."
>    compiled for 7.1.0, module version = 8.28.8
>    Module class: X.Org Video Driver
>    ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 1.0
> [R200Setup] X version mismatch - detected X.org 1.3.0.0, required X.org
> 7.1.0.0
>
> I upgraded from a 2.6.18 kernel to 2.6.20 but module-assistant can't
> even compile the module. It compiles OK on 2.6.18, but trying to load it
> gives the error above. I was interested to note that Xorg.0.log reports
> the version as 1.3.0.0, matching the error above.
>
> I'm thoroughly confused as I thought sid was up to xorg 7.2 but my
> installation gives:
>
> ii  xorg                            7.2-3
> X.Org X Window System
> ii  xorg-docs                       1.2+git20061105-3
> Miscellaneous documentation for the X.Org so
> ii  xserver-xorg                    7.2-3                           the
> X.Org X server
> ii  xserver-xorg-core               1.3.0.0.dfsg-3
> X.Org X server -- core server
> ii  xserver-xorg-input-evdev        1.1.5-2
> X.Org X server -- evdev input driver
> ii  xserver-xorg-input-joystick     1.2.1-2
> X.Org X server -- joystick input driver
> ii  xserver-xorg-input-kbd          1.1.0-4
> X.Org X server -- keyboard input driver
> ii  xserver-xorg-input-mouse        1.1.1-3
> X.Org X server -- mouse input driver
> ii  xserver-xorg-input-synaptics    0.14.6-1
> Synaptics TouchPad driver for X.Org/XFree86
> ii  xserver-xorg-video-ati          6.6.3-2
> X.Org X server -- ATI display driver
> ii  xserver-xorg-video-v4l          0.1.1-3
> X.Org X server -- Video 4 Linux display driv
> ii  xserver-xorg-video-vesa         1.3.0-1
> X.Org X server -- VESA display driver
> ii  xserver-xorg-video-vga          4.1.0-3
> X.Org X server -- VGA display driver
> ii  xserver-xorg-video-vmware       10.13.0-3
> X.Org X server -- VMware display driver
>
> The only thing that seems to work is the vesa driver at 1024*768.
>
> I'd be grateful for any pointers on how to fix this. Should I file a bug?
>
> TIA,
>       Tim

Blame ATI.  Their driver do not work with the newer kernel, and a rumor
has it that M$ is behind the deal because ATI is the supplier for the
video in the xbox 360.  The only solution until ATI gets off their butts
and fixes their drivers is for you to use the free drivers.

There are 2.  radeon and ati.  Neither are as good as the older fglrx,
but the radeon version can at least handle GL.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but we already know that ATI is not
one of the better companies when it comes to Linux support.

Joe

- --