Re: Fixed fonts in Debian

On Sun, May 06, 2007 at 08:44:36PM +0530, Kumar Appaiah wrote:
> I am currently using Etch, and loving it. However, my query is related
> to monospace fonts in Debian.
>
> The release of Debian Etch and Ubuntu Feisty has prompted some of my
> friends to move from Fedora Core to Debian and Ubuntu. Everything
> seems smooth, but one friends doesn't like the Bitstream Vera/DejaVu
> fonts, and misses the fixed font provided with Fedora Core. Could
> someone tell me where to get that font?

Welcom Kumar,

I don't do graphics in email, sorry.

What you want are xfonts.  Look through the packages (apt-cache,
aptitude, whatever, or the debian.org web site) for xfont and you'll see
a slew of them.  For fixed-width I use either monospace or terminus but
there are others.  There's also gsfonts-x11 that allows X to use the
fonts supplied with gs (ghostscript, a postscript renderer).

Doug.