Re: How to boot in to Etch if grub fails to load and deletes NTLDR?

On 5/4/07, Hugo Vanwoerkom <hvw59601@care2.com> wrote:
Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> On Fri, May 04, 2007 at 04:46:27PM +0530, Deboo ^ wrote:

>>> You can use the netinst CD as a rescue disk. Just boot with option
>>> 'rescue' or 'rescuegui'.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Andrei
>> Well I want a substitute for the "boot floppy" that used to boot the
>> system in the days gone by. Even a 1.44 MB floppy was able to boot a
>> normal debian system .... I think I did it once on a potato 2.2 system
>> and it would happily boot off the floppy in to the normal debian and
>> even X worked well.
>>
>> Is that not possible with the netinstall? Where's that boot floppy option
>> now?
>
> you can install grub on a floppy and use that.

http://newbiedoc.berlios.de/wiki/How_to_create_a_Grub_disc_to_boot_a_Debian_GNU/Linux_system

2 works (creating a floppy), 3 does not work (creating a CD), at least
NFM. I can create it, but booting gets an error and I have to use the
commandline interface and enter all stanzas by hand. let us know if you
get that to work and how.

Well finally I got the problem. It was a silly one. After installing
Etch and rebooting, I get the message like No boot device detected. I
booted with knoppix and checked, probably grub messed up.

There wasn't any active partition set tho just before the installation
it was the windows partition. Installed grub using knoppix and made
the XP partition active. Now got the grub menu. All fine till here.

Thanks for the links. They have useful info. I do not have a floppy
dirve though. I'll try the CD option on to RW media.

See ya in the next thread about pppoe.

Regards,
Deboo

--
Please don't Cc: me, I'm subscribed to the list.