Idiot needs help enabling php in apache or apache2

Hi!

I guess I'm an idiot, and I'm certain this is somewhere right in front of my
eyes, but I can't seem to enable php on my webserver. I've tried both apache
and apache2, following the instructions from www.debian-administration.org. I
get the webserver working, and I apt-get install libapache-mod-php4 (or for
apache2, or the php5 equivalent for either apache version), and I use
apache-modconf or a2enmod to enable the module, but still the browsers won't
recognize the php file I point them at. I must be missing something very
obvious :(.

Here's what works:

Straight html files in my users public_html, htaccess etc.

Here's what doesn't:

php scripts in my users public_html (the browser wants to download them or open
with an editor)

What I want to be able do is to install the latest wordpress version (i e not
the one distributed with etch) in my users public_html. I do this as a test
run, because I need to use that wordpress version on a remote non-debian server
later. My mysql database is set to go, and everything required for wordpress
has been installed afaik (for instance, if I do apt-get install wordpress, it
only needs the wordpress package). I just can't get apache to recognize php.

If anyone reads this and thinks: 'duh! simple!', it would help tremendously if
you would throw me a line or two!

/landhaj