Re: replacing /usr with a new mountpoint

Hello,

On 5/4/07, Andrew Sackville-West <andrew@farwestbilliards.com> wrote:
On Thu, May 03, 2007 at 10:58:37PM -0700, John L Fjellstad wrote:
> I think you can do it without telinit 1.
> Try rebinding the / mountpoint somewhere else
> mount --bind / /mnt
> Then / will be in both / and /mnt
> The /mnt/usr should be your original /usr.  Delete that directory, and
> unmount /mnt
>
> Theoretically, this should work, but I haven't tried it.

my reading of man mount suggests that you want

mount --rbind / /mnt
-------^^^

but its not very clearly written (IMO) so I suggest you
touch a dummy file in the new /usr and double check whether its in
/mnt/usr as a test to confirm that the mount of new /usr doesn't carry
over.

rebinding was one of my thoughts too. anyway I'm not anywhere near my
the box now so I'll just try that on monday when I get back to work.
I'll report how it went. maybe someone can use it.

--
Martin Marcher
martin.marcher@gmail.com