Re: How to boot in to Etch if grub fails to load and deletes NTLDR?

On Fri, May 04, 2007 at 04:46:27PM +0530, Deboo ^ wrote:
> On 5/4/07, Andrei Popescu <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:
> >On Fri, May 04, 2007 at 09:39:57AM +0530, Deboo ^ wrote:
> >
> >> Is there an option I can make a "boot CD" like the boot floppy option
> >> present in RedHat/Fedora systems towards the end of installation?
> >
> >You can use the netinst CD as a rescue disk. Just boot with option
> >'rescue' or 'rescuegui'.

> Well I want a substitute for the "boot floppy" that used to boot the
> system in the days gone by. Even a 1.44 MB floppy was able to boot a
> normal debian system .... I think I did it once on a potato 2.2 system
> and it would happily boot off the floppy in to the normal debian and
> even X worked well.
>
> Is that not possible with the netinstall? Where's that boot floppy option
> now?

Back in the days... the normal kernel would fit on a floppy.  Nolonger.
So a true floppy can't be used to boot up the system.  The rescue mode
of the installer presents you with a menu, one is run a shell chroot to
the root directory, another is install the grub boot loader.

This issue has been a constant pain whenever I install Etch.  Grub is
never installed (since when etch was testing six months ago and again
now that its stable).  Yes I did bug reports, yes I subscribed to them,
no I never heard anything further.  OTOH, I only have two boxes that
will boot either Etch or Sarge's installer...

Doug.