Re: octave-forge usage?

Hi, thanks for the response, but I think I'm asking a slightly different
question than you answered.

I know how to use octave generally, but I want to use some of the
specialized functions which are distributed in the "octave-forge"
package in debian (actually "octave2.9-forge" I think).

When that package is installed, it puts all those functions in various
subdirectories of "/usr/share/octave/site/api-v22/m/octave2.9-forge/",
e.g., the "imread" function is in
"/usr/share/octave/site/api-v22/m/octave2.9-forge/image/imread.m".

What I don't understand is how one is generally supposed to tell octave
to load those files, so one can use the associated functions.

I _could_ just load the file manually by doing:

   source("/usr/share/octave/site/api-v22/m/octave2.9-forge/image/imread.m")

but that seems rather clumsy, and it looks like there's supposed to be a
more elegant and user-friendly mechanism via the octave "pkg" function.
Unfortunately, I can't get the "pkg" function to actually do anything
useful; I don't know if it's my misunderstanding or whether there's
something broken.

Thanks,

-Miles

--
`The suburb is an obsolete and contradictory form of human settlement'