Re: Since chvt works, the problem must be the keymap

On Wed, May 02, 2007 at 09:27:35AM EDT, Florian Kulzer wrote:
> On Wed, May 02, 2007 at 00:49:38 +0100, David Claughton wrote:
> > Florian Kulzer wrote:
> >
> >> I would experiment like this:
> >> xmodmap -e 'keycode  67 = F1 F13 XF86_Switch_VT_1'
> >> xmodmap -e 'keycode  67 = F1 F13 F1 XF86_Switch_VT_1'
> >> xmodmap -e 'keycode  67 = F1 F1 F1 XF86_Switch_VT_1'
> >> xmodmap -e 'keycode  67 = F1 F13 F13 XF86_Switch_VT_1'
> >
> > Nope, none of these commands seem to work - all possible shift/alt/control
> > F1 combinations I tried after running each of these commands just got me an
> > error beep + a letter or two on the terminal, or it launched Gnome Help!
>
> So much for that brilliant theory...

It's certainly the one that makes the better sense.

At least it's something I can understand.

> [...]
>
> >> $ setxkbmap -print
>
> [...]
>
> > xkb_keymap {
> >         xkb_keycodes  { include "xfree86+aliases(qwerty)"       };
> >         xkb_types     { include "complete"      };
> >         xkb_compat    { include "complete"      };
> >         xkb_symbols   { include "pc(pc105)+uk"  };
> >         xkb_geometry  { include "pc(pc105)"     };
> > };
>
> [...]
>
> > Section "InputDevice"
> >         Identifier      "Generic Keyboard"
> >         Driver          "kbd"
> >         Option          "CoreKeyboard"
> >         Option          "XkbRules"      "xorg"
> >         Option          "XkbModel"      "pc105"
> >         Option          "XkbLayout"     "uk"
> > EndSection
> >

> > So AFAICT, not a lot of help there.
> >
> > I should also mention that once I have switched VT using Shift-F1, I can
> > switch back using Ctrl-Alt-F7 as expected - which seems to suggest nothing
> > is wrong with the system keymap.
>
> There are two different keymaps: The console keymap (which seems to be
> OK) and the X keymap (which we cannot quite figure out, it seems). The
> VT switching mechanism is different once you are outside of X.

To be a little more precise .. it looks as if there are two totally
separate mechanisms...  One that's "system-wide" so to speak .. handled
by the kernel .. (?) ..  manages VT's wherever you are .. including in
an X session .. and whatever they are currently connected with including
"nothing" .. lets you switch .. but also create & destroy VT's on the
fly (man chvt).  And then there's another mechanism that works only when
you are running an X session .. only lets you switch VT's .. and is
presumably handled by the X server.

No idea if the two are related or how..

> This is also the reason why it is enough to press ALT + Fn (no CTRL)
> to switch VTs once you are on a non-X tty.

> I am afraid it is time to start grasping at straws now:
>
> - try "gb" instead of "uk" for XkbLayout
>
> and/or
>
> - try "pc104" instead of "pc105" for XkbModel
>
> and/or
>
> - add this to the keyboard section:
>   Option "Xkbdisable" "true"
>
> Restart X and see if any of it helps.

The other (vague I admit) reason I mentioned buggy video drivers as a
possible cause is that though I was not able to verify this first-hand
.. I did see in google instances of folks reporting they has fixed such
a problem being fixed by upgrading their X driver to a more current
version.  But since both those who experienced the problem and those who
came up with the "solution" were just as clueless as myself as to what
would be causing this .. it mostly ran along the lines of ..  ".. works
here with the 3.99 version .. what're you running .. 3.72.3 .. hmm..
you may want to try to upgrade" .. "you're my hero  .. thanks a ton ..
upgraded the driver and it took care of the problem."

Thanks,
cga