Re: aptitude + dpkg

On Sun, Apr 29, 2007 at 12:26:38AM +0100, somethin2cool wrote:
> Given that aptitude is awesome and that all the stuff I want is missing
> from all the repositories, is there anyway for me to use .deb files and
> dpkg in conjunction with aptitude. I'm sure they have the dependencies
> listed inside them somewhere, and it would be brilliant. I'd settle for
> apt of course.

As others have mentioned, setting up a local repository is a good
option.

But for one-off packages, dpkg will do just fine. Basically, RTFM
dpkg(1):
    $ man dpkg
:-)

But you're probably after:
    $ dpkg --info somefile.deb
will list information about the package - including what it depends on.

    # dpkg --install somefile.deb
will install the package. If dependencies are not satisfied, the package
will be installed, but not configured (usually unusable). It will be up
to you to install dependencies - this is what apt normally does for you.

Hope this helps
--
Karl E. Jorgensen
karl@jorgensen.org.uk  http://www.jorgensen.org.uk/