Re: Since chvt works, the problem must be the keymap

On Sun, Apr 29, 2007 at 14:10:14 -0400, cga2000 wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 29, 2007 at 12:10:22PM EDT, Florian Kulzer wrote:

[...]

> > It would be interesting to see which keycodes and keysyms are reported
> > if you run "xev", press (and hold) both CTRL and ALT, and then press F1,
> > F2, etc. Does xev really display the keycodes for the Fn keys and the
> > keysyms "XF86_Switch_VT_n"? Are the hexadecimal keysym values the same
> > as the ones that you get with "grep VT /usr/share/X11/XKeysymDB"?
>
> Another way of looking at it is that _unless I am totally misunderstand
> how these things work_ .. the CTRL+Alt.. sequence invokes "X server"
> code and the "disconnection" from the VT as Andrew nicely put it, is
> eventually processed (in part at least) by your card's driver .. whereas
> with "chvt" it is code that lives in the kernel that is invoked.
>
> Hence a buggy video card driver could cause CTRL+Alt.. to fail on a
> system where chvt works..  Regardless of keyboard mapping ..
>
> The "logic" :-) behind this embarrassing guesswork of mine is that I
> have experienced this kind of problem with embedded chips (together with
> a slew of other issues) in cases where the driver was clearly described
> as immature in the (then) xfree86 doc.
>
> That's why I suggested .. possibly in another recent thread on a similar
> subject

It probably was the same thread. One of the morons from debianhelp.org
has gratuitously changed the subject line in the meantime, which does
not really contribute to making things any clearer.

>         .. was it an nvidia card then? .. switching to the VESA driver
> just to see if it makes any difference.
>
> Naturally, checking whether you are running the latest version of the
> driver and taking a peek at it's change log is matter or course.
>
> Let me know if this makes sense.

I think we certainly cannot rule out anything at the moment. I seem to
recall, though, that some people who reported the VT switching problem
in the past did try the vesa driver and found that it did not help. My
feeling is that a problem with the graphics driver would either lead to
a lock-up of the system, a crash of X, or at least to error messages in
the Xorg log. I don't remember if we ever suggested that people check
the log.

It is certainly annoying that this is a persistent problem for a small
percentage of users and that we cannot figure out what causes it.

          Florian   |